Armg 4 August 2008

ARROW Repository Managers Group Meeting - Teleconference

Issues For VTLS To Consider

Monday 4th August 2008

AGENDA

Teleconference starts 2pm prompt. See guide for accessing meeting.

  1. Welcome. (Chair: ARROW Central, Minute Taker: QUT)
  2. Apologies:
  3. Previous minutes:
  4. ACTION items from previous minutes
    • HERDC member to report on the new src:class codes implications (Tom R).
    • Angela will develop some new Wiki pages according to different access levels to be demonstrated at meeting
  5. ARROW Project Managers Report
  6. HERDC Report on progress and deliverables (HERDC minute taker)
    • Investigate what export and import has been achieved with VITAL or Fedora?
  7. MACAR Report
  8. Customer Service Report
    • Reporting of problems with Customer Service
  9. Issues arising from Implementation Table
  10. Neil Dickson report on Valet Codefest
  11. Other business.
  12. Next Meeting: Date: 01/09/2008 (Chair: ARROW Central. Minute taker: UNE)

Minutes

  1. Welcome. (Chair: ARROW Central, Minute Taker: QUT)
    • Attending: ARROW Central, Ballarat,, CQU, LaTrobe, Macquarie, Murdoch, QUT, Swinburne, USC, Newcastle, UNSW, UniSA, USQ.
  2. Apologies: Monash, UNE, UWS
  3. Previous minutes:
    • No matters arising
  4. ACTION items from previous minutes
    • HERDC member to report on the new src:class codes implications (Tom R)
      • Tom not present at meeting
      • Suggestion was made that Angela take the item to the HERDC group but this was passed up in favour of next point
      • Agreement that Katie should report back at the next ARMG regarding MACAR's work in this area
        • MACAR are meeting with ARC on Aug 15 so things should be clearer then
    • Angela will develop some pages according to different access levels to be demonstrated at meeting
      • Not yet complete
      • Hoping for Sept 1 WebEx
  5. ARROW Project Managers Report
    • ARROW Central is looking at future support arrangements
      • ARROW members supported either the lightweight or unstructured models
      • CAUL could possibly oversee whatever model replaces ARROW
      • A proposal is being written up as to possible structure and governance
      • Uni librarians will be sent a thankyou for their feedback
      • CAUL meet in September and Katherine will try to table the proposal then
      • It was stressed that the ARROW board does not intend to continue at the end of funding
      • An EOI will be developed for future support service hosting
      • Those wishing to provide further feedback are encouraged to supply information
    • A reminder was given to provide feedback for conveying to VTLS during Bratislava meeting of the Euro VITAL Users Group
      • This can be provided via the wiki
    • Regarding the statistics problems:
      • VTLS expect this to be resolved in version 3.4
      • Version 3.4 is due once testing is completed
    • Regarding version 3.4
      • Performance improvements result in successful testing of 4.5m queries with 10 transactions/second and up to 190 concurrent users
      • There is currently no 3.4 version for testing by ARROW members
      • Paula asked if there was any doco regarding features/fixes
        • Answer was no but ARROW will chase this up as well as upgrade doco
      • Q: What are the underlying changes
        • Neil: SOLR indexing. USQ will do a functionality test upon release
        • Fiona: We need information on the fixes to statistics
      • It was noted that the state of the build on ARROW-DEV is only known to VTLS
      • VITAL 4.0 is in Alpha, soon to be Beta
        • VTLS intends to provide this to ARROW
  6. HERDC Report on progress and deliverables (HERDC minute taker)
    • (Michael) Final report due August 15
      • Some sections are being added in
    • Investigate what export and import has been achieved with VITAL or Fedora?
      • Tom sent an email re people's work in this area but received no replies
      • Prashant has done some work on this and believes that Fabulous could solve it (with work)
      • Further info is on the wiki
    • HERDC team is waiting on the ERA requirements
  7. MACAR Report
    • August 15 meeting agenda is on wikidot
      • HERDC work will be discussed
      • Questions about music are being looked into
    • David asked for feedback regarding the future of MACAR
  8. Customer Service Report
    • Reporting of problems with Customer Service
    • Prashant waited 3 weeks for response on log issues
    • Following VTLS work, Macquarie have port 9080 in use but this is blocked by many firewalls
      • Prashant suggests that they redirect from port 80
    • Macquarie and Newcastle report issues with MARC records not synchronising with DC
      • This blocks the data from going live
      • Issue appears to be based in the client software
  9. Issues arising from Implementation Table
    • Members asked to keep this up to date
    • Prashant mentioned that his team is working to secure their system behind shibboleth.
      • They are close and will provide doco
      • Prashant agreed that he could demo (WebEx) the work in October's meeting
  10. Neil Dickson report on Valet Codefest
    • Neil and Peter Sefton communicated via email during the work
    • High level of collaboration was witnessed
    • Harry (UNSW) will look after the Perl version
      • He also demoed a DOI lookup for VALET
      • Cyrus (Monash) is working towards a single LDAP integration
    • Tim, Prashant and Guy are looking after the Java version
    • Please direct all development questions to Peter Sefton and he will distribute to the programmers as required
    • VTLS is supporting the work
      • Joe will attend the ARROW community day and possibly a second code camp
    • Fiona was concerned that her requests were not responded to
      • Neil will check up on this.
  11. Other business.
    • nope
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License