Armg 3 March 2008

ARROW Repository Managers Group Meeting - Teleconference

Monday 3rd March 2008

AGENDA

Teleconference starts 2pm prompt. See guide for accessing meeting.

  1. Welcome. (Chair: ARROW Central, Minute Taker: Central Queensland University)
  2. Apologies:
  3. Previous minutes:
  4. Action items from previous minutes
    • ACTION: MACAR needs feedback from ARROW members on the usefulness of their documents presented. Angela Lang will send email to ARMG that will provide links to these documents.
    • ACTION: Angela Lang will send email with links to blog on Research Master.
    • ACTION: David to raise Swinburne problem of reset statistics with VTLS at their next meeting.
  5. ARROW Project Managers Report (David G.)
  6. Customer Service Report (An opportunity for partners to verbally report to ARROW Central and the community on their experiences, 'good, bad and otherwise', with VTLS' Customer Support)
    • Reporting of problems with Customer Service
  7. Issues arising from Implementation Table
  8. Other business.
  9. Next Meeting: Date: 03/03/2008 (Chair: ARROW Central. Minute taker: University of Ballarat)

WEBEX DEMONSTRATION - Valet (by Simon McMillan) 2:45pm

MINUTES

Meeting 3rd March, 2008. Held at University of Newcastle

  1. Welcome (Chair – Angela Lang, Minute Taker Katie Blake.)
    • Present: Angela Lang & Katie Blake (ARROW), Vicki Picasso (Newcastle), Andrew Harrison (Monash), Carmel Grant & Carolyn Bray (Ballarat), Paula Callan & Guy Knights (QUT), Michael Wood (LaTrobe), Fiona Burton & Shane Carty (Macquarie), Helen Wolff & Rebecca Parker(Swinburne), Simon McMillan (UNE), Caroline Drury (RUBRIC), Lisa Tyson & Euwe Ermita(Western Sydney).
  2. Apologies
    • None received
  3. Previous minutes.
    • There were no corrections, minutes were accepted.
  4. Action items from previous minutes:
    • MACAR feedback
      • Katie B reported that some feedback had been received from ARROW members on the MACAR documents. There had also been some discussion about the requirements of HERDC. Katie noted that the HERDC requirement, and other institutional metadata needs, would not fit easily into a traditional bibliographic metadata schema such as MARCXML. The choice MACAR is facing is whether to shoehorn non bibliographic requirements into MARCXML, or whether to recommend the inclusion of a non-traditional metastream in each digital object. Those who are using MARCXML include Monash, LaTrobe, QUT. QUT noted that they already have a separate metastream for their own metadata requirements, where these are not covered in MARCXML. They have not seen any problems with doing this. Michael Wood said that he would prefer to keep core bibliographic metadata in MARCXML but was open to the possibility of a separate metastream. Action: QUT offered to supply a sample of a non-MARCXML administrative metastream to MACAR (Katie Blake) and to put it on the Wiki.
    • Angela Lang to send email with links to blog on Research Mater.
      • Done
    • David G to raise Swinburne problem of reset statistics with VTLS.
      • Helen Wolff noted that the reset has happened twice. VTLS cannot work out why. There are no stray templates which could be affecting this. Nobody else reports having the problem Helen recommended keeping an eye on the statistics. Andrew Harrison asked the group whether the statistics functionality was sufficient to needs. Andrew is scoping needs for a separate, standalone statistics module to sit over the top of VITAL and would like feedback on whether others are interested. If so, this could be an ARROW mini-project. Action: those interested should contact Andrew Harrison. Paula Callan noted that there is a set of scripts designed for Eprints, written by University of Queensland and shared as open source. They are based on web server statistics, and work by scraping the web server.
  5. Project Manager’s Report. March 2008
    • Load testing – see later in these minutes
    • RQF replacement announced – For those of you who haven’t seen it, the government has announced the “Excellence in Research for Australia” (ERA) system. It appears that the new system will be less reliant on repositories than the RQF was. However, the latest indications are that the government would very much like to use the HERDC system to encourage accessibility, and that there will be a real push to use the repository as the storage place for evidence, rather than photocopies. DIISR have also indicated that pre and post prints will be acceptable forms of evidence for HERDC, so that they can be placed in the repository and opened up.
    • Testing of 3.2 installs on ARROW’s behalf is being done at USQ’s Repository Services (formerly RUBRIC). USQ have also been contracted to continue to help ARROW members with technical problems going forward. Once 3.3 is released they will be testing the 3.1 to 3.3 upgrade process. Caroline Drury is managing this service at USQ. You should still use VTLS as your first point of contact for help, but we will turn to USQ as required.
    • Research Master have gone a bit quiet, and have told us that they will contact us when they need more information.
    • At the forthcoming Open Repositories conference at Southampton (April 1-4) there will be two meetings to try and build some international links for VITAL. I will be attending both. One will be a VITAL Development Group meeting, which Yale is organising. As I understand, the idea is to bring users together to try and coordinate our future development needs. The other is a Fedora Commons meeting that is looking at similar issues from the Fedora perspective.
  6. Customer service at VTLS
    • Vicki Picasso asked the group what the turnaround time on VTLS’ responses to requests has been. She has waited three and a half weeks for a response. Andrew Harrison said he usually waits for just over a week before firing off an email to Sandy Boone. Then he gets a response. Vicki says that she has sent suggestions to VTLS and has had no response at all, not even an acknowledgement. Helen Wolff says she just keeps forwarding emails. Swinburne still has a problem with the copyright symbol, which appears on almost all their records. This used to work in VITAL 2.1, but it oes not work in 3. They have tried every format for entering the symbol. Andrew Harrison noted that Monash has issues in running the AltID utility, and are getting datastream IDs that do not match. He is concerned about the versioning with AltIDs – there is an impact on storage size. Revisions can result in a trebling of storage requirements. He is concerned about the long-term integrity of the repository. Fiona Burton also has concerns about the lack of a consistent list of AltIDs. When and where do you need to use them? If there are separate metastreams for descriptive metadata and administrative/HERDC metadata, will they all need to be synchronised? More documentation is required. Andrew Harrison will document the issues and circulate to the group, and put it to VTLS. Caroline Drury (Rubric) said that they have discovered that you can create infinite loops with AltIDs (a thumbnail of a thumbnail of a thumnail etc) with multiple AltIDs and datastreams multiplying out. Rubric is documenting a response to VTLS that the AltID utility should be taken out until there is clarity on how they work, and until much more fine tuning is possible. It is very unstable. It was also noted that there is a lot of time taken to process the AltIDS. It appears that the backend processing is not quite settled or finished in the last section of the process. Action: Caroline is to liaise with Andrew to document issues and submit them to VTLS. They will circulate their findings in the next three weeks.
    • Report from the HERDC group: Michael Wood reported that there is a new set of questions on the Wiki, and the group has not reached any conclusions yet about HERDC requirements.
  7. Issues arising from Implementation Table.
    • UWS have upgraded to VITAL 3.2, and have gone live. They have a few indexing issues. They will contact CQU to compare notes. Macquarie has also gone live. It is on the Library web page, and will be launched to the university generally in the next few weeks.
    • Neil Dickson gave a testing report. Performance is not what it should be and has gone downhill since December 2007. ARROW has run tests on VTLS’ advice, but is still not seeing the level of performance that is expected.
  8. Other business.
    • None.

The meeting concluded with a Webex demonstration by Simon McMillan (UNE) of their use of VALET. The demonstration showed how metadata was extracted from Callista, transformed into VALET XML and used to pre-populate VALET forms for editing and management.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License