Armg 2 June 2008

ARROW Repository Managers Group Meeting - Teleconference

Monday 2nd June 2008

AGENDA

Teleconference starts 2pm prompt. See guide for accessing meeting.

  1. Welcome. (Chair: ARROW Central, Minute Taker: Macquarie University)
  2. Apologies: Andrew Harrison
  3. Previous minutes:
  4. ACTION items from previous minutes
    • HERDC member to report on the new src:class codes implications
    • Prashant will share code which can report on duplicates
    • People Resource List (Vicki Picasso)
  5. ARROW Project Managers Report including response from VTLS on telephone customer service(David G.)
  6. HERDC Report on progress and deliverables (HERDC minute taker - Angela Lang)
  7. MACAR Report (Tom Ruthven)
  8. Customer Service Report (An opportunity for partners to verbally report to ARROW Central and the community on their experiences, 'good, bad and otherwise', with VTLS' Customer Support)
    • Reporting of problems with Customer Service
  9. Issues arising from Implementation Table
  10. Other business.
    • VITAL 3.1.x gotchas (Simon McMillan)
      • I would like the outcome of the discussion to be a list of features that do not work, or do not work as expected, in 3.1.x; the pros and cons of disabling them; and how this is done. The list might also include what action is being taken by ARROW and VTLS to rectify the problem.
    • VITAL reindexing problems (Rebecca, Swinburne)
  11. Next Meeting: Date: 07/07/2008 (Chair: ARROW Central. Minute taker: Murdoch University)

WEBEX DEMONSTRATION - Author profile pages (by Rebecca Parker) 2:45pm

MINUTES

  1. Welcome. (Chair: ARROW Central, Minute Taker: Macquarie University)
  2. Apologies: Andrew Harrison
  3. Previous minutes: Accepted without change
  4. ACTION items from previous minutes
    • HERDC member to report on the new src:class codes implications
      • Held over to next meeting. See also HERDC report later.
    • Prashant will share code which can report on duplicates
      • Prashant sent details of the code to the ARROW Group.
    • People Resource List
      • Discussion occurred about how the ARROW Wiki could be used to help facilitate resource sharing. Options include: Workflow, Topics link on Index page. Will the Wiki be open or closed in the future? Are we aiming to capture discussion as well as the sharing of ideas. The Wiki software will allow different access to different users, Katie indicated that the wiki could be open, but there might be closed forum pages. Michael Wood suggested there could be some closed areas, i.e. for recording specific problems but everything else could be in the open section. Angela will approach Kate Watson, who gave a talk at the recent CRAG seminar about the use of Wikis. Katie noted there will be a need for somebody to manage rights to the Wiki. ACTION: Angela will develop some pages according to different access levels and they can be demonstrated at the next meeting.
    • ARROW Community Day
      • The next Community day is to be held on October 14-15 in Brisbane. The first day will be open to non-VITAL users. Committee members were asked to send comments on the draft agenda to Angela. Fiona asked if the idea of a cross-system repository group, along the lines of UKCoRR was being considered. David reported that there was a session on how communication amongst repository managers could occur in the future. There was also some discussion about the advantages of having a list just for repository managers, or one which is open and has cross-sectoral membership, i.e. IR_ANZ and whether the presence of non-repository managers, can be both a benefit and a hindrance to people who wanted to post to the list.
  5. ARROW Project Managers Report including response from VTLS on telephone customer service
    • Dave reported that load testing is still occurring with problems being encountered when larger numbers of concurrent users is reached. VTLS is still working on this issue. ARROW is about to install a new version, which arrived at the end of last week. ACTION: to be carried forward
    • David asked VTLS for the details of the response to Swinburne’s recent incident out of hours. The procedure is that the incident is assigned within 15 minutes, but if our-of-hours VTLS allow 1 hour as staff will often be required to travel to the office so they can get full access to the tools and systems they require. The call came in at 2.30am and Heather responded within 1 ½ hours as she had to travel to the office. VTLS are trying to respond as quickly as possible but at certain times the response time will be longer.
    • When VTLS respond to an IM ticket, if there are outstanding questions, then you are advised to get back to VTLS to say you need further information or request clarification. Michael Woods reported that sometimes he has asked VTLS a follow-up question and it will often take 1-2 weeks to get a response. Elke reported that this was a similar response to what CQU experiences for their Library system.
    • An options paper giving options for the ongoing ‘community strategy’ for the ARROW Community has been drafted by ARROW Central. This will be sent to the University Librarians for comment. David will send a copy to the ARROW Repository Managers when paper circulated.
    • VTLS has been invited to the ARROW Community Day.
  6. HERDC Report on progress and deliverables
    • Angela reported that some queries have been sent to MACAR. Once the report is available, there will be a period of two weeks for comment.
  7. MACAR Report
    • Katie will be attending the APSR Identifying Researchers seminar. She had supplied a one page on metadata issues.
  8. Customer Service Report (An opportunity for partners to verbally report to ARROW Central and the community on their experiences, 'good, bad and otherwise', with VTLS' Customer Support)
    • Reporting of problems with Customer Service
      • Nothing reported
  9. Issues arising from Implementation Table
    • See Item 10
  10. Other business.
    • VITAL 3.1.x gotchas
      • Statistics - Simon had requested a status report on the resolution of problems relating to statistics and citations, e.g. what options we have, how these options can be implemented. Paula wondered if this could be one of the Wiki pages where we could have open discussion about the issues, David said this could be a test open Wiki page. VTLS has said the statistics performance issue will be fixed in 3.4 David reported that VTLS wanted to know which institutions were requiring a 3.1 fix on the statistics problems, or who were prepared to move to 3.4 to implement the fix. Angela will send out an email asking for responses by 11th June. ACTION: All repository managers
      • Citations issues - Maude reported the Harry had been working on a web application that would provide citations in either APA/Harvard format by type, and not just one standard format. When this was available the details would be posted to the list.
      • VITAL reindexing problems - Rebecca reported that Swinburne were having problems with redindexing. Part way through the reindexing the system would stall and VTLS needed to be requested to fix the problem. They are not reindexing through the portal interface. Their server apparently starts reindexing if the server is restarted. VTLS have reported there seems to be a problem with a PDF. Vicki reported they had experience some problems with a non-Unicode compliant PDF. However the problem Swinburne PDF is a 15 page text PDF. Swinburne will circulate the result of their testing and any further information from VTLS. ACTION: Rebecca.
      • Implementation reports - It was requested that the Implementation Reports are kept-up-to-date, in particular the issues log. It was noted that to use the Wiki you had to go to the Wiki to access information where the Google Group comes to you. Paula suggested that maybe if information was posted to the Wiki, an email could be sent to the Google Group with a link to the Wiki page.
  11. Next Meeting: Date: 07/07/2008 (Chair: ARROW Central. Minute taker: Murdoch University)

[ARMG page|ARROWRepositoryManagersGroup]

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License