Armg 12 May 2008

ARROW Repository Managers Group Meeting - Teleconference

Monday 12th May 2008

AGENDA

Teleconference starts 2pm prompt. See guide for accessing meeting.

  1. Welcome. (Chair: ARROW Central, Minute Taker: LaTrobe University)
  2. Apologies:
  3. Previous minutes:
  4. ACTION items from previous minutes
    • HERDC member to report on the new src:class codes implications
    • ARROW Central to take to VTLS for advice on the problems relating to VITAL performance and statistics.
  5. ARROW Project Managers Report, including an update on ASHER (David G.)
  6. HERDC Report on progress and deliverables (HERDC minute taker - Vicki Picasso)
  7. MACAR Report (Tom Ruthven)
  8. People Resource List (Vicki Picasso)
  9. Community Day 2008 - topic ideas and structure (Angela Lang)
  10. Customer Service Report (An opportunity for partners to verbally report to ARROW Central and the community on their experiences, 'good, bad and otherwise', with VTLS' Customer Support)
    • Reporting of problems with Customer Service
  11. Issues arising from Implementation Table
  12. Other business.
  13. Next Meeting: Date: 02/06/2008 (Chair: ARROW Central. Minute taker: Macquarie University)

WEBEX DEMONSTRATION - Usability and Author profile pages (by Helen Wolff) 2:45pm

MINUTES

ARMG Minutes Monday 12th May 2008

  1. Welcome. (Chair: ARROW Central, Minute Taker: LaTrobe University)
  2. Apologies: RUBRIC (USQ), UWS)
  3. Previous minutes: Accepted without change
  4. ACTION items from previous minutes
    • HERDC member to report on the new src:class codes implications
      • Held over to next meeting. See also HERDC report later.
    • ARROW Central to take to VTLS for advice on the problems relating to VITAL performance and statistics.
      • David G reported that load testing had taken place with VTLS.
      • The version of Vital tested was a new version of 3.0.x because ARROW has contractual agreements with VTLS over performance for this version.
      • VTLS indicate that performance improvements for this version will be readily transferred to later versions of Vital. They will be rolled out in v3.4 or 3.3.x
      • The load testing involved a simulated load of 260 users for 16 hours completing just under 1 million transactions and apart from some network problems all worked OK.
      • The content was essentially Monash’s with around 39,000 objects of mixed kinds including pdfs and ANRO material.
      • The key improvement made was apparently the replacement of Lucerne indexing with SOLR.
      • Helen reported that with 3 users on one admin login doing multiple processing types using the admin interface the repository crashed. Discussion indicated that Monash turn off stats and that stats were turned off for the load testing.
      • The stats module is the same in v3.0 and 3.3. Stats problems have been raised with VTLS and Heather has indicated there are fixes for stats in v3.4
      • Fiona indicated they wanted a fix for stats in v3.1.1 supported by Swinburne. Sites do not expect to upgrade for some time.
      • Another possible cause of problems is server 500 errors from “large files”. When Vital requests data from Fedora Fedora supplies results into memory and if available memory is short this can cause problems. Other processes going on can affect available memory so what is “large” can’t be defined exactly.
      • Rebecca pointed out that with 3 users they found they had to empty temp files or restart vital regularly.
      • Joe L has reported a patch to fix the “large object” problem is in testing. Another symptom of this is where vital reports datastream doesn’t exist.
      • Stats is a load on memory.
      • Swinburne report pdfs of around 3-4 MB still cause problems.
  5. ARROW Project Managers Report, including an update on ASHER (David G.)
    • ASHER – all VCs were asked to sign a new agreement for the money which will come in two tranches in May and July. There are no guarantees for next year.
    • Transition plan- as this is ARROW’s last year an options paper on how the community might carry on is being prepared for University Librarians. It will go to the ARROW management committee on May 23rd.
    • ARROW Developers Group met couple of weeks ago. Looking for ways to drive development of benefit to the community. A key area is likely to be the incorporation of various developments of Valet by ARROW members with other features eg auto-extraction of metadata from pdfs, into a new version of Valet.
    • ARROW is seeking further ideas for the second half of the year.
    • A de-duplication tool arose from the discussions of the HERDC group though it was recognised that identification of duplicates is problematic. An administrative report highlighting possible dupes was suggested as was identification of dupes on ingest for example in Valet
    • Prashant indicated a report can be generated from the DC in the OAI output which reports on duplicate titles
    • ACTION: Prashant will share the code
  6. HERDC Report on progress and deliverables (HERDC minute taker - Vicki Picasso)
    • An interim report is being developed discussing 4 models of how sites are or might handle the requirements of HERDC.
    • A key issue under discussion is data specifically required for HERDC, whether to collect this and how to store it in the repository. The group discussed these issues with Joan Gray and Joan has gone back to MACAR and will provide a final response after discussion within MACAR.
  7. MACAR Report (Tom Ruthven)
    • All MACAR discussions are now on their new wiki, changed to allow for feedback, and all members are encouraged to visit the wiki.
  8. People Resource List (Vicki Picasso)
    • Vicki proposed a list of who can help with what, who is willing to share experience, who has particular kinds of collections eg images, datasets, who is using MODS etc
    • The idea received general support and discussion moved to using the ARROW wiki in different ways to support discussion and group development of ideas.
    • Kate made the point that a wiki culture was important which encouraged participation in works in progress, comments and discussion, interactive and co-operative development
    • It was suggested that separate areas could be developed for drafts and published papers
    • ACTION: Vicki will work with Ange and Andrew on ideas for the wiki.
    • ARROW is looking to the future and a Vital users wiki which would be open.
    • ACTION: this item to be on the next agenda
  9. Community Day 2008 - topic ideas and structure (Angela Lang)
    • Two days in October, the first a Repository Day with all flavours of software: Repositories going into the future and the second day the ARROW Community day.
    • In Brisbane, ARROW will provide travel and accommodation for 2 people/member site
    • ACTION: members to provide Ange with ideas for the community day
  10. Customer Service Report (An opportunity for partners to verbally report to ARROW Central and the community on their experiences, 'good, bad and otherwise', with VTLS' Customer Support)
    • The question of response times to telephone problem reports was raised. Advice on the answering machine doesn’t necessarily match published statements and it was reported that VTLS didn’t even ring back when reports were made within support hours.
    • ACTION: David will take this issue back to VTLS
  11. Issues arising from Implementation Table
  12. Other business.
  13. Next Meeting: Date: 02/06/2008 (Chair: ARROW Central. Minute taker: Macquarie University)

[ARMG page|ARROWRepositoryManagersGroup]

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License